Re: USING 2 TWELVE VOLT BATTERIES

To: bj8healey@juno.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: USING 2 TWELVE VOLT BATTERIES
From: bspidell@comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:45:56 +0000
Rob,

I'm assuming you want to increase the available current, which
means you'd connect the batteries in parallel.  If you connect
in series, you'll double the voltage and let ALL the smoke out.

Really, there's no reason to do this and nothing to be gained.
The starter is going to pull a certain amount of current (200-300amps)
for a split second when it starts to rotate, then the current draw
will drop as the inductive impedance builds in the windings.
The starter will not pull more current than this (unless you have
a short in the windings, and it'll overheat quickly and probably
not work anyway).  As long as your battery is rated and capable of
producing 200-300 amps ("cold cranking amperage"), the starter
will only pull that amount regardless of how much is available.
You gain nothing (unless you're trying to power a 1,200-watt stereo
with the engine off).

If you're really concerned about the starter's cranking ability
maybe you should consider a high torque starter conversion.

bs

From: bj8healey@juno.com