Valve job and Cam Complications

To: Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve job and Cam Complications
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 18:11:20 +1000
I was forced to remove my 3000 head due to a blown head gasket.
While it was off I set up a dial indicator on top of a pushrod and for
each lobe I set it at the zero lift or lowest position. I rotated the
crank and cam and measured the actual lift of each lobe.
The result was quite a variation at each lobe which I read as uneven
wear on each one.
I then pulled the followers and discovered some were heavily pitted.
All of the above made me believe the non-standard cam had been badly
ground or unacceptably worn or both.
Net result a fresh cam grind on a spare stock cam, new followers and
finally a new head gasket .
At the moment it is all disassembled in the garage (shop)
Regards
Joe