Re: Valve job\Oils....

To: tomfelts@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Valve job\Oils....
From: Dave & M <rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 19:31:03 -0600
Hi Tom,

I suspect that the newest Valvoline VR1 has very recently had the ZDDP
content removed or drastically reduced since this published analysis.
I don't believe that they could meet the newest API service SM spec
with the levels stated in this analysis. The very small amount of
Boron that they do include is not likely to make up the difference.  I
think the oil companies are playing some very funny games with their
advertising & numbers.

Note that the few specialty racing oil companies are not hesitant to
state the real content analysis, although even some of their claims
may also be a bit exagerated & Redline is somewhat evasive.

For the time being, the whole subject is a circus.

I have attached a scan of the most recent VR1 label & the VR label.

Regards,
Dave

Tom Felts wrote:
 > This site shows it does contain it.  (VR1)--unless Val stopped
 > adding it after this info was posted.
 >
 > http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
 >

 >> [Original Message] From: Bob Brown <BlkBt7@aol.com> To: Dave & M
 >> <rusd@sitestar.net>; Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net> Date:
 >> 5/12/2007 7:11:37 PM Subject: Re: Valve job\Oils....
 >>
 >> I hadn't been paying close attention to the details of this
 >> thread, but realizing I have a rebuilt BJ8 engine in the garage
 >> with new tappets I thought I should try to catch up. However, I'm
 >> getting confused.
 >>
 >> I have a Valoline VR-1 (VV211) Exceeds API Services SM/SL/CD and
 >> it reads ".. anti-wear additives and ZDDP provide ultimate wear
 >> protection."
 >>
 >> Dave stated SM (VV211) did not contain ZDDP, who really knows
 >> what contains what.
 >>
 >> Bob
 >>
 >> Dave & M wrote on 5/12/2007, 5:46 PM:
 >>

 >>> I think the change was fairly recent.  The SM spec goes into
 >>> effect in 2007. Note that I previously said SL when I meant SM.
 >>> My older VR1 oil containers for oil rated API service SL stated
 >>> contains ZDDP. Does your "good" oil show for API service SM or
 >>> just SL?
 >>>
 >>> I doubt if you will find the ZDDP content given in any of
 >>> Valvolines most recent literature.

 > es!

VR1.jpg]

VR.jpg]