RE: Valve job

To: "'Healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Valve job
From: "Richard Pratt" <prattri@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 08:36:46 -0400
List,
I rebuilt my 65 BJ8 engine at 75K original miles. At disassembly, I found 5
bad lifters. This tells me that the factory had a problem with brake-in at
initial start-up. As I understand it, the cam lobes only get lubrication by
splash. This is why it is recommended to run a new engine at 1500 -2000 rpm
for the first 20 min. I had the cam reground to a 3/4 race( T-3-6) -
Duration 260 Deg and Valve Lift of .430" by Iskendarian( which I highly
recommend) and installed new lifters. Knowing the importance of cam lobe
oil change. I used non detergent oil for brake-in and switch to Mobile 1.

Question: Is Mobile 1 not a better oil for our cars and if not why not?

Richard
PS Iskendarian sent the cam back with a black coating on the cam lobes which
I assumed was a brake-in material.