Fwd: Re: Valve job

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Valve job
From: sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:42:52 +1000
Quoting BJ8Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>:

> Hello, Healeyphiles -
>
>   "Seems that two rockers
> had
> no clearance, either."

Focusing on the condition above 'no clearance' would indicate to me that;
either the valve face or valve seat face has worn, burnt or eroded and allowed
the top of the stem of the valve to rise relative to the head and thus reduced
the clearance OR the valve clearance was incorrectly set prior to the
compression test??? or lock nuts did not hold, allowing the adjuster to move
reducing the clearance.

Wear on the cam face or the mating cam follower's face would more likely cause
excessive valve clearance as the mating wear surfaces have reduced in lobe
height or follower length.

Cam followers are the weak link and care should be taken to inspect them
regularly. I am also concerned about reusing followers that have
been 'reconditioned' by grinding and therefore removal of some of the hardened
surface. I dont know how thick the 'hard face' is, others may know better than

Joe