RE: OIL - beware

To: "'TERRY COLL'" <coll44@msn.com>, "'John Snyder'"
Subject: RE: OIL - beware
From: "Chris Masucci" <csooch1@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:18:28 -0500
Terry,

I'm no expert either.  However what I do know is that one of a diesel oil's
rated abilities is the capability to hold and disperse soot, such that the
viscosity doesn't increase and also so that wear numbers don't increase
because of it.  It is diesel rated oil's ability to be so detergent and hold
the particles that is important.

Gasoline engines don't produce much carbon (soot), so the detergent
capability of a diesel rated oil will far exceed what a gasser needs, in
that regard.  Mobil Delvac 1, and Rotella blue bottle are those types of
oil.  Also, most of the modern diesel oils are on the thick side of a 5W40,
which is perfect for a Healey engine.

Most of the really good oils rated VW505 or better contain all of the
extreme pressure additives that we need.  Mercedes uses oils like this in
it's newer diesels.  Like I said before though, just because an oil has a
1200 or better Zinc rating by oil analysis, doesn't mean that the Zinc is in
a form that helps you.  It is truly a matter of process.

Cheers,

Chris

  _____