RE: Garage floor finishes

To: "heard" <heard@datatrontech.net>, "'Healey List'"
Subject: RE: Garage floor finishes
From: "Ronald J. Ray" <ronald-ray@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 08:21:35 -0500
The proper concrete floor treatment depends somewhat how you want your floor
to look.

If you simply want to protect the floor from stains and provide an floor
finish that is easy to clean, then a clear silane based composition (with an
oleophobic additive) such as Degussa Corporation's Dynasylan BH-N Plus is an
excellent product.  I have specified it for numerous parking garages with
much success.  This material will not change the look of the concrete.

If you are looking for a finish that "improves" the look of the concrete,
than a clear penetrating water based, inorganic silicate sealer such as
Concrete Chemical Company, Inc.'s Ashford Formula is an excellent choice.

You won't find the above mentions products at a home improvement store.  Try
their web sites to locate a manufacture's representative in your area.

I'd suggest avoiding floor treatments that are surface treatments, such as
silicones, as they will not hold up to automotive fluids.

As with any concrete floor finish, using a dissipating curing agent is
essential for achieving compatibility between the concrete and the floor
finish.  Otherwise, the concrete would probably require shot-blasting for
the sealer to be effective.

Ron Ray