Overdrive Engagement Problem

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive Engagement Problem
From: Rick Swain and Wendy Grant <grain@auracom.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:09:35 -0300
Out on a run (250 miles over 2 days), following a change of engine
and gearbox oil, I began to experience problems trying to engage
overdrive in my BN4. Initially it sometimes refused to go into
overdrive, but after switching out of overdrive and waiting a bit, it
seemed to work okay. Perhaps the key was that I was engaging the
second time with less throttle. This happened intermittently
yesterday, but with greater frequency today. Eventually it refused to
engage with any more than the slightest throttle opening. If my foot
is off the gas it switches into overdrive, but as soon as I apply any
throttle it's comes out. With the car stopped, ignition turned on,
car in 3rd or 4th gear, I can hear the solenoid click when I flip the
switch to overdrive. If I have the accelerator depressed no solenoid
click. Can anybody help? Am I looking at a faulty relay? No wires
were changed, throttle switch looks like it's in the right position.

The oil in the gearbox is the same Castrol Grand Prix 20w50 I always
use. Oil level is a bit high. Rather than being at the high line,
it's covering the h in high - about 1/4" above the high line. I don't
see this causing such a problem but thought I'd mention it. What else
- oh yeah, last year overdrive quit working and I cured that by
cleaning the points in the overdrive relay

Any thoughts about where I should be looking?

Thanks

Rick
'59 BN4