Fuel pump

To: "'Healeys@Autox. Team. Net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pump
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:34:35 +0100
You may recall that I started a thread about 10 days ago.."Alternative fuel
pump"???

I found that one of the threads, inlet or outlet, on the pump was stripped
and the whole thing had been kept from leaking by a mess of plumbers putty
and tape. (That white stuff one winds onto the threads whose initials have
escaped me.)

Well, I tried long and hard to get a Recoil or Helicoil insert, but nobody
had 3/8ths bsp and nobody wanted to order the whole kit just for one job.
They'd have had to price themselves out of it.

Two people actually offered me an old pump so I could swap bodies. Very
kind. I won't name them as it might embarrass them and we might all be
emailing them and asking for bits? Anyhow, I've got an old body, cleaned it
up and swapped it over.

So,

1) I simply cleaned up the old body and took the working parts out of mine
and moved them into it. I've made sure that the valves are well seated and
are the right ways up.

2) I put the main electrical part (points, coil et al) back in the same
relative position as on previously.

3) I cleaned up the earth and live contacts and tested the pump on an old
battery. Clickety click it went.no worries.

4) I cleaned up the banjos and put the pump back in the car with new fibre
washers.

Switched on the ignition and the pump just clicked away merrily and forever,
but no fuel.

1)       I've rechecked the valves and they're OK.

2)       I've reconnected to a battery and checked to see if it's moving any
air. Well, yes, it is. But not much. If I put my thumb over the inlet or
outlet, the pump stops.

3)       I've noticed that air comes out of the vent(?) hole on the coil
housing whilst the pump is on and running but I suspect that is normal and
blocking the hole makes no difference, except to the noise, which does alter
somewhat.

OK, what have I done? Plainly I've made an ass of myself somewhere somehow,
but I can't see where. Any ideas?

How strong should the pump feel as it pushes air against one's thumb? Mine
feels pretty feeble, but then it's a fuel pump and not an air pump! So...?

Is there a magic piece which the idle always omit to replace? Maybe I'm
missing something.?

I don't think I've got any air leaks. I didn't before and I don't see why I
should now.

Thanks,

Simon