Re: Transmission lock up!

To: "scott willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission lock up!
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:45:15 +0800
Scott -

The other rear wheel spins the other way because that's what the
differential is for.  Every car on the road does that except those that have
limited slip differentials.  That is  nothing to worry about.  You need the
diff because when you are making a turn the inside rear wheel has to spin
slower than the outside rear wheel otherwise you can get a very dangerous
wheel slip while making turns.

Your gearbox can be locked up for one of several reasons.  If you are in the
habit of forcing the car into gear, you can wear the selectors to the point
where they will be selecting two gears at the same time.  Thankfully it
means that your gears are probably fine, but unfortunately it means
you should have someone take the gearbox out and fix it.  I believe there is
also a pin in one of the gears, that if comes loose, will lock up the gears.

You have a 60 BN7 which means it's a side shift... I don't know the side
shifts that well, but I suspect you will have to take the gearbox out to pop
off the cover and inspect the selectors - check the manual.  The top shifts
you can take the top off and inspect them quite easily.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8