Ignition timing

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition timing
From: Warthodson@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:50:57 EDT
I have ask this before but am still not clear on how to deal with the
apparent discrepancy.
The BJ8 distributor I have indicates 18 degrees (distributor degrees) of
mechanical advance. This is stamped inside. This equals 36 crankshaft degrees.
If
I add to this any static advance (10 degrees, per manual) and assume zero
vacuum advance I will be significantly over the 35 degree max. total advance in
the shop manual. I have verified this is actually what is occurring by checking
the max. advance with the vacuum advance disconnected, using a dial back to
zero timing light. (Several of our club member's cars are running 45 to 50+
degrees Max. advance.) I guess my question is: do I ignore the Max. advance or
limit the Max. & accept what ever I get at idle?

A related issue is that when the advance is retarded to 35 degrees Max. it is
difficult to get a smooth running idle.

What are your experiences?

Gary Hodson