RE: Ignition timing - another question or two

To: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>,
Subject: RE: Ignition timing - another question or two
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:53:02 -0500
Hi Michael and All, it's hair pulling time for me.  Here's what I have
right now:  a newly rebuilt to stock BT7 Mk2 engine (29E) but using a
BJ8 distributor with neg. ground Pertronix.  Yes, I changed up the drive
gear and got rid of the mechanical tach drive unit to install the 25D (I
think) distributor.  The car starts easily and runs very well at idle
and low-ish rpm.  However, when I try to accelerate, the car feels like
it being pulled back by bungie straps...very lethargic and reluctant to
move out.  I've tried about every timing setting I can think of with not
much change in performance.  The dist rotor points approx. toward the
front of the engine and the cap, wires and dist are in their normal
positions.  My question is...is the BJ8 dist a bad choice for the BT7
Mk2 engine??  I feel the cam grinds are probably different...maybe the
different dists make a bigger difference than I had imagined...??  I
still have the original dist and apparatus...should I return to the
stock distributor??  Somebody please help..!!
Jack