Re: Ignition timing - another question or two

To: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>, Healey List
Subject: Re: Ignition timing - another question or two
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:13:30 -0700
Jack:

Been watching this one - my feeling is that there is something else not
right, either a problem in the BJ8 distributor itself, or a possible fuel
delivery problem.  The difference in cam grind between the MKII cam and the
MKIII cam would not be enough to account for what is happening - in fact,
most people seem to regrind the MKII cam to BJ8 specs without problems -
that's what's in my tri-carb.

You might try removing the Pertronics and sticking a set of points and a
condenser in to rule out a problem with the module (although those things
tend to be either an 'on' or 'off' situation.)

One sure way to tell would be to re-install the DM6 distributor without
making any other changes (yeah, I know, it's a pain) and see what happens,
then go from there.  It goes without saying that the basics should be
checked first - wiring, vacuum advance diaphragm, carb needles and settings,
fuel flow, possible blocked fuel filter, etc. etc. in order to avoid
unnecessary work, which I'm sure that you've already done - I know of
several earlier cars running BJ8 distributors without problems.  I'd stay
with the factory recommended basic timing setting - you can always fool with
that after the problem reveals itself and the car is running well.

Good luck - keep us posted.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb