Re: Inline Fuse Holder Question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Inline Fuse Holder Question
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:13:25 -0700
After I had a solenoid meltdown a couple years ago, I installed a 10A
in-line fuse in the white/green wire coming off Terminal C2 of the overdrive
relay.  To avoid cutting into my fairly new wiring harness, I made up a wire
with an in-line fuse holder to mate with Terminal C2 on one end and the
white/green terminal normally connected to C2 on the other end.  This wire
provides all the current between the relay and the solenoid. After two years
of frequent overdrive operation, the fuse hasn't blown.  You want the fuse
to blow before the wiring goes, of course, and according to standard tables
of ampacities (load-carrying ability) of various gauges of wire, 18 gauge
can carry about 16 amps in free air, thus I went with the 10A.  50A seems a
bit much to me, and is above the ampacity of 12 gauge wire.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA