[Fwd: Re:Healey Eng. Block Rigidity]

To: Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re:Healey Eng. Block Rigidity]
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:49:17 +1000
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re:Healey Eng. Block Rigidity
Date:   Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:17:42 +1000
From:   Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
To:     richard mayor <mayorrichard@hotmail.com>

richard mayor wrote:

> What makes you think you need support for the lower end of that Austin
> block? There is no weakness there. If you're worried about cooling the
> oil, use a synthetic. Are you racing? Then you should be using a DMD
> pan from Australia that has larger capacity, better ground clearance,
> and numerous gates to prevent oil starvation. Durability?  Since when
> is a steel sump not durable?  Looks good too?  That's a lot of money
> to spend on a good looking part that nobody can see. And if you wanted
> engage in spirited competition, you cannot modify that aluminum sump
> to accomodate baffeling that actually works.  Lastly, if you use a
> good gasket sealant, you will not have oil pan leaks.  But it's your
> money. Enjoy.

> MY COMMENTS;
> When I inspected all the jewel like components Denis Welch had on
> display at the 1996 International Healey Meeting in UK his unequivocal
> respose to my question," was the alloy sump (oil pan ) for better
> cooling?",    - no for rigidity.

When you have watched Denis pull 7200rpm down ConRod Straight at
Bathurst to catch a locally built Australian Healey that had out
maneuvered him at the famous Skyline (at the top of the hill before the
plunge down thro the Esses) you tend to believe the man knows his stuff.
Steel cranks and bottom end girdles do wonders for reducing vibrations
and allow higher revs.
It would have been interesting to see how the works alloy blocks would
have had improved reliability had they used it  with a steel crank and
alloy sump/girdle.

For those that have never driven or seen the Bathurst circuit it is held
in awe by many visiting UK and European stars of sports and touring
cars. Current Australian 5litre touring cars do approx. 180mph down the
straight. Buy a video of the 1000 km race held each year and be amazed
by the gradients involved up and down the circuit.

All Healey races were held there in 1998 & 99. Videos of this were
available but dont know if it is still the case.

Joe.
First bathurst visit in 1965 while at school.Travelled in an Austin
A.40, mates car, that required 1st gear to make it up the hill on
Mountain Straight.  Then three of us slept in it overnight. Used another
mates plumbers blow tourch to melt the ice from the windscreen in the
morning.