Re: [Healeys] Rear End Shimmy

To: <pennell@cox.net>, "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear End Shimmy
From: "Ron Osowski" <rosowski@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 23:22:30 -0400
About a month or two ago I had a similar situation develop on my BJ-8
(36800) during a run south on I-275 over the Skyway bridge to have lunch
with Gerry Coker and the Tampa Bay Austin Healey club at Walt Mainberger's
house.  The car was running like a dream for about an hour, and then it
suddenly developed an alarming shake that rapidly grew in intensity.  I
pulled over to the breakdown lane and checked for flats or other obvious
non-conformances of the running gear...nothing noted.  Fortunately, my
significant other and I were only a mile or two from the exit to Walt's so
we cautiously proceeded on, noting that the shimmy/shake would start around
35/40 mph.

After lunch with Gerry and the attending club members, Walt supplied a floor
jack and I jacked up each corner of the car checking for possible causes.
At Marion Brantley's suggestion, I checked the tires and found that the left
rear Michelin XZX was clearly egg-shaped.  It was obvious by merely turning
the wheel by hand and sighting the tire circumference in relation to the
fender.  There were no other noticeable defects on the outside of the tire.
I put the spare on that corner, and she ran smoothly at 70 to 75 mph all the
way home to St. Petersburg escorted by Marion and Kay in "Blackie".  Case
closed.