Re: [Healeys] Front Cowl

To: "'henry'" <henry@vmtrc.ucdavis.edu>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Front Cowl
From: "John Homonek" <jhomonek@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:57:59 -0400
Henry,

You can heat it up out in the sun..if possible or use a heat lamp or hair
dryer.  That sometimes makes the sealant give.  Pry gently to avoid damaging
or distorting the shroud or you will get to know your local panel beater.

When reinstalling, I used a product called Strip-Calk by 3M.  Available at
NAPA and other stores.  Comes in a medium blue box.  The strips actually
look like black licorice..12" strips.  It remains pliable and stops air and
water leaks.  I used it all around the car to seal leaks: flange on rear
shroud, on top of front shroud (be generous here to stop hot air leaks into
the cockpit), under tenax or turnbuckle studs and windshield posts (I have a
roadster)....basically anywhere you don't want water getting in or hot air
through.

Good Luck!

John E. Homonek II
Atlanta Chapter AHCA
www.atlantahealeys.org
bn7@mindspring.com
1959 BN7 - 1960 AN5 - 1974 Jensen-Healey