Re: [Healeys] Lost titles (Part 1)

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lost titles (Part 1)
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:04:30 -0700
What a pain in the ass the new limit on size of replies is!  My response of
two paragraphs was 3,261 bytes, so was 261 over the limit and awaits the
pleasure of the moderator.  Meanwhile, here is it in two pieces:
-------------------------------------
Mark, I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune.  I hope that the Indiana
BMV will be able to accommodate you.  I don't know if this would be a factor
in their ability to recreate the titles easily, but Indiana is one of the
states whose BMV has told me they have purged all of their inactive
registrations older than 10 years.  This means that anyone wishing to trace
the history of their car could not get the information from the Indiana BMV
beyond the 10 year cutoff date, and I would assume it would also mean that
the BMV would have no record of previous owners if the registration had been
inactive for 10 years or more.  I ran into this while trying to help the
owner of a BJ8 in Europe trace history on his car, which came from Indiana.
Many other states have cutoffs even less than that.  One other possible
hangup:  due to the Federal Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994, the BMV
may not release to you the names of previous owners even if they have the
information.  How that might affect their creating a duplicate title for you
in the name of the previous owner, I don't know.

Part 2 to follow.