[Healeys] Tranny oil/tranny hell

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Tranny oil/tranny hell
From: "Robert Bender" <rbender1@berkshire.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:53:48 -0400
Scott,

I know I'm entering this a little late and I don't even know if this has
been mentioned before, but I might have an explanation for your
transmission's bad behavior of going into two gears at once.  The shift
forks are each connected to a shift rod.  As you move the shift lever you
are moving a shift fork which is connected to a shift rod.  The shift rods
have various grooves machined into them. As a lever is moved, a spring
loaded steel ball, will be pushed into a groove.  This locks other shift
levers so they are immovable while that gear is in position.  Over the years
of use, these steel balls can gall a groove deep enough is one or more shift
rods, that the machined groove no longer locks out the other gears.  In
other words, two different shift levers can be moved at once.  In the past,
I've had to have the galled grooves in these shift levers filled with weld
and re-machined to the proper diameter which solved the problem.

Unfortunately, to get at them, you have to separate the bell-housing from
the tranny.

    Hope this helps,

         Bob Bender

From: "scott willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>