Re: [Healeys] Insurance Question

To: "Healey Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Insurance Question
From: "Leonard Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:44:16 -0700
A quote from Hagerty at the same coverage levels as my 'regular' policy was
only $26 per year less.  Not much of a savings and not what I was led to
believe from their advertising.  The economics get worse when one considers
that my multi-car discount on my regular policy ($98) would go away.

Hagerty requires that the car be in a garage when not in use (don't leave it
in the driveway), has a 5,000 mile limit (my average over the last 5 years
is a little over 4,000 miles annually), strongly discourages its use for any
personal trips, and requires that my wife and I each have our own 'other'
vehicle (this MIGHT be waived since we have no need for two other cars). The
only benefit I see is the agreed value coverage.  I do not consider my car a
'daily driver' but I do drive it whenever I have the opportunity and that
includes those personal trips to the barber shop or hardware store (local),
Fairfield (10 miles away), Vallejo (25 miles away), Sacramento (35 miles
away), etc, etc.  I could not live with the use restrictions.

As far as paying for damage to the Healey, carry a (disposible) camera in
the car (or a cell phone that takes pictures).  Assuming you
get hit and it's not your fault, pictures of the incident could lead to a
full insurance payoff of the repair costs.  It did for me.  I know - maybe
the other driver is not insured.  One can only hope that the uninsured
motorist coverage is worth the premium we have been paying.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville,  California,  USA
1967 3000 MKIII, HBJ8L39031