Re: [Healeys] Antennas

To: gbrierton@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Antennas
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:25:52 EST
In a message dated 12/19/2007 12:01:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gbrierton@hotmail.com writes:

OK,  Michael, I have got to hear more about how that would work!  Can
somebody please explain this to a non-electrical engineer  (me)?

Hi Gary--

Well, as Dave Barry says:  "I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!"  I was  shown this
trick when I was a young kid hanging around the shop of an old  geezer
mechanic.
He simply said that the knot "cancelled" the EMI  (electromotive interference)
and it did work, at least on my car, a TR3.   Now this was for an AM radio
and back then (1958 or so) ignition wires  were, I am sure, solid copper.
Perhaps resistor wires would do  as good or better job but Dan said he did not
want
to use them.

You're not the only Doubting Thomas in the group and subsequent to my post  I
did a bit of google searching for anything online about this.  Go  to
_http://www.overclockers.com/tips1132/index03.asp_
(http://www.overclockers.com/tips1132/index03.asp)   and  scroll down till you
find the following:

"Al Smith aka oldbrave says:
"This is not A NEW IDEA!
In 1956 and 1957, Ford Motor Co. used this very simple solution  on the coil
wire of the Thunderbird to greatly reduce EMI to the radio and it  had no
apparent effect on the operation of the Ignition system! As a matter of  fact,
it's something that knowledgeable collectors look for in the  identification of
original and/or properly restored cars!"
Twisting wires cancels or reduces magnetic interference--for example the
positive and negative wires running to DC compass lights on boats are  always
be twisted so that they will not induce a magnetic effect on the  compass card
when the circuit is energized.
That's about all I can tell you--perhaps Dan will share with us how it worked
 out for him.
Best--Michael Oritt