Re: [Healeys] Front End Rebuilding - BJ7

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Front End Rebuilding - BJ7
From: "Tom Rech" <tdrech@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:56:54 -0600
Jeff--

I am currently rebuilding the front end of my BT7.  From the information
I've gathered from the list and others, I have decided to go with new rubber
suspension bushings, new king pins, re-bushed swivel axles, and new upper
trunnion needle bearings which replace the original oillite bearings.  The
later are supposed to provide easier steering with wider tires.

To me, rebuilding the front end is really an all-or-nothing proposition
because it all needs to be refreshed at once if you want to be satisfied
with its performance.  This includes rebuilding the steering box, steering
idler, and tie-rod ends if necessary.  The play in your steering is most
likely from worn out parts in your steering box and linkages before the
rubber suspension bushings.

Moss, VB, and other suppliers offer king pin kits, steering box/idler box
bushings, suspension bushings, etc.

Mike Salter has an excellent article regarding poly bushes here:
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?m=200701  I will let you be the judge.

Tom Rech
59 BT7