Re: [Healeys] Syntec Oil

To: Editorgary@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Syntec Oil
From: Dave Russell <rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:00:37 -0700
Gary,

Not quite sure how to word this.
In the instance of Valvoline VR1 20-50 "Racing", the container shows
that it is rated API service SM.
SM in itself would indicate reduced ZDDP, yes, no, or it depends on the
particular viscosity of the SM?

Are you saying that although it is rated SM, but the 20-50 would not
likely be used in a "modern" engine, it "might" contain more ZDDP than a
5-20 SM rated oil?

In other words, do SM rated oils  have different amounts of ZDDP
according to their viscosities/likelyhood of being used in a modern
engine?  Does it mean that not all oil viscosities of  SM  rating
contain reduced ZDDP?

The oil companies published information makes it very hard to find the
answer. Worse - The oil formulations  seem to be changing on a near
monthly basis but the published info is quite old in some cases.

I think I will continue to add a pint of GM EOS to my oil changes. To
me,  it's not worth taking the chance.

Regards,
Dave Russell