[Healeys] Testing a battery, non Healey

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Testing a battery, non Healey
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:55:06 -0000
Many thanks for all the replies re. the above. Some very useful stuff.
Thanks for taking the time..

I tend to get lost when I approach the milliamp area, but this is where I
think I am:-

Ignition off, keys in my pocket.

If I disconnect the battery's + lead and put a test light between clamp and
terminal, the light illuminates.

If I put in a meter, I get a reading of 60milliamps, I think. The arrow
flicks in time with the red light on the console for the alarm system. Do I
assume that the 60 milliamps is primarily being consumed by the alarm?

How much is 60 milliamps anyhow? Six thousandths of an amp?? Doesn't sound
like much? But spread it over a week???

I think this is pointing me towards the old/dying battery scenario......??

While I'm pushing my luck on the non Healey front, anyone ever have any luck
with the heater control valves in Porsche 944S2s? It appears to be
electrically triggered but vacuum powered. I gather they go wrong quite
frequently.

Simon