Re: [Healeys] Shroud Welding

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Shroud Welding
From: "patrick harris" <rotaryman@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 20:25:20 -0800
I have been taking a rop class for adults in california in which we have
access to the many types of welders.  The original austin healeys I believe
were welded with a tig type arrangement.  Although mig is now perfectly
capable of matching the alloys etc in the shrouds, it typically is used
because it is easier to master, but originally was invented for industry
because it was quicker and more productive.  Having played with tig I prefer
it over mig for precision and beauty of weld.  Tig is basically like a
easily controlled gas weld and produces a beautiful bead which is easily
manipulated and allows fixing if you make a mistake or blow a hole by simply
letting up on the pedal and reducing the heat.  Of course the cost of a tig
welder is somewhat more then a good wire feed but many of the korean and
italian models which would not be applicable for industry are great for the
home user.  The inverter units with hi frequency require minimal power input
and do a great job of cleaning the weld as you go.  Miller makes a great
inverter welder which is both arc and tig but you will drop a couple of
grand pretty fast in some of those models.  I have seen some boat trailers
welded recently with mig aluminum which looked pretty close to tig but the
weld puddles were larger then tig and sat up higher.  If you do it with mig
you will need to purchase a special wire feed cable with teflon to help the
aluminum guide efficiently but most mig aluminum jobs use a spool gun which
eliminates the long travel through the cable to the handle  What I like most
about tig is that it is a fun way to weld and there really is no splatter .