Re: [Healeys] Wood rimmed Steering Wheel Refinishing

To: <rjswain@hotmail.com>, "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wood rimmed Steering Wheel Refinishing
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:18:54 -0400
Hello Rick. Give it a quick sanding with 400 grit after you're removed all
the old finish and grime. Pay attention to the metal as well - inside and
outside rim edges - as scratch marks will be very noticeable there. A few
wipes with the sandpaper should do it.  Tape the spokes with blue painters
tape (it removes easily) where they meet the wood.  I use a couple of
different products, but you can get away with a spar urethane like Minwax
Helmsman Spar Urethane - High Gloss; it's widely available.  Sand lightly in
between coats with the 400 paper using long strokes. Three or four coats
should do it. Don't put it on too heavily and watch for drips, especially
around the spokes.  When you're all done, use a sharp razor knife to
carefully score around the spoke in the crease where the metal meets the
wood. This will allow you to remove the tape without risk of pulling finish
with it. You can then clean up any residue on the spokes with mineral
spirits using a soft shop towel like the blue paper ones.

Good luck.

Regards,
Mike Lempert
http://www.lempertwheels.com

My BN4 came with a wood rimmed wheel - made in France, la Carra I believe.
The
finish was gone in places so I decided to refinish it. I have stripped off
the
varnish, or whatever was on it, and am now looking for suggestions on how to
proceed and what to use.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Rick Swain
'59 BN4