Re: [Healeys] Wood rimmed Steering Wheel Refinishing

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wood rimmed Steering Wheel Refinishing
From: "michael adams" <maxxadams@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:46:24 -0400 (EDT)
In this case you may want to do what the antique boat guys do to get a good
long living finish.  The sanding and prep work is about the same but where the
boat boat guys go different is that they use Smith's CPES (Clear Penetrating
Epoxy Sealer).  This product penetrates the wood and consumes the components
that cause rot to begin, this stabilizes your wood.  The second thing this
product does is make it weather resistant.  The third is that is provides the
best substrate surface to put a finish on that will last.  If you use Varnish
or epoxy this prep work makes it last and holds up to rain, UV degradation.
Just a thought, I have done a few wheels this way on another project and they
have lasted well without color deterioration.  I also use this product on my
1957 Chris Craft and it holds up the the beating of weather.  Might be
overboard for some though.

Good luck,
Max

Hint:  if you go this route make sure you sand, stain then seal if you seal
before you stain you will have to start over.