Re: [Healeys] upper trunion bushings

To: ". Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] upper trunion bushings
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 17:48:09 -0400
Bob,
Thanks for explaining.  I knew there were no adjustments except toe in on a
stock Healey but as I said I'm showing my ignorance again here.  I now realize
that Brad and you were talking about the upper trunions that are modified for
camber adjustment.  I thought Brad was asking about which way the stock
trunion set on the king pin.  The bushings I talked about are the ones that
the upper fulcrum pin passes through and I feel they should go outboard.  Am I
on the right track now?  As one famous Saturday Night Live star would say,
"Never Mind".

George

> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:34:06 -0700
> From: bspidell@comcast.net
> To: haywoodone@hotmail.com
> CC: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] upper trunion bushings
>
> George,
>
> My BJ8--which I've owned since it had 64K miles--had some damage (a curb
> strike, apparently) on one side but not the other, but the camber was
> 3-4deg positive on both sides. Though nominal is 1deg positive, most
> unaltered Healeys appear to have at least that much. I used the offset
> bushings at full offset to pull the camber in close to 1deg. That--and
> an alignment by a competent shop--made a world of difference in my car's
> handling.
>
> Since there is no camber adjustment for (stock) Healeys--a real
> shortcoming, unfortunately--I suspect the factory "alignment" was a
> matter of how well the jig was set up--or how many pints the fitter had
> at the pub the night before--the day the shock plates were welded in.
>

> bs
>

> George Haywood wrote:
>> Bob,
>>
>> Your a much deeper thinker than I am, I just forwarded Brad pictures of how
my bj8 came from the factory. As you say though, if the upper fulcrum pin were
inboard in relation to the swivel axle the camber would be changed
dramatically, at least an inch at the upper trunion. Do you think that there
are front ends out there with that kind of arrangement unless there was prior
damage to the suspension or chassis? I may be showing my ignorance again but
since I have not been involved with racing, I don't know, there may be a need
for that kind of set up.