[Healeys] Brake Lights, BN6, Failure

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Brake Lights, BN6, Failure
From: john close <f9cougar@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:50:17 -0700 (PDT)
Well Guys, hoisted by my own petard again. Tired of tailgating pickups and
suv's who don't see quickly enough that I'm braking, I finally decided to put
in a brake switch activated by the pedal instead of by hydraulic pressure.
Checking the wiring diagram, I saw that the stop lamp switch illuminated the
taillights by connecting wires 17 and 22, with 17 going to the A4 connection on
the fuse box, 22 to the #5 terminal on the relay box. I. experimented with
connecting the 2 terminals, and that lit the brake lights. I ran 2 wires from
those locations into the cockpit for my switch. I was all set to finish the
job, but then I got greedy. I decided to also wire my 3rd brakelight, which
hadn't been working, into the circuit. Couldn't get it to light, but when I
connected it to another hot wire, it would work. By way, I also have the small
reflectors converted to brake/;turn signal lights.

  Locking onto the 3rd light problem, I dithered around with other ways to
connect it, none of them working. Then the taillights quit altogether. Thinking
I had been trying to draw too much current, I checked all fuses, including the
extra one to protect the taillight wiring. All were fine. I disconnected the
3rd tailight. No joy.

  All other lights fine. I'm out of ideas and would appreciate suggestions
Thanks in Advance - John Close