Re: [Healeys] Front Badge

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Front Badge
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 18:56:10 -0700
Gary -
The Parts Manual gives only one part number for the Mk III nose badge,
applicable from the first BJ8 25315 on, and therefore does not distinguish
between the cloisonni badge and the painted one, nor does it identify a
change point.
Since it is a point of difference between cars, I try to record the badge
style (cloisonni or painted) as an item of data in the BJ8 registry.  The
goal would be to determine from actual evidence at least the general change
point for the badges, although availability of new ones and possibility of
replacement messes up the data somewhat.  Inaccurate responses to the BJ8
questionnaire could also mess up the data.

If the data I have is correct, then the painted badge was used on cars
throughout entire BJ8 production.  The earliest chassis number recorded with
a painted badge is 25396.  For those who are interested, as an example the
following are also recorded with painted nose badges:
26345
26576
26707
27532
28359
28770
30114
30248
30430
30730
31494 (the earliest car with a painted badge that I have actually seen with
my own eyes)
33042
33437
... etc., etc.

The point at which MOST cars have the painted badges seems to be somewhere
around chassis 39XXX/40XXX.

I had never paid attention the missing hyphen in my car's badge, which I'm
convinced is original to the car.  It made me curious about the original
badge of my BJ7, and I see that it does have the hyphen.  You learn
something every day.  Now, am I going to have to create  "HYPHEN" and
"NON-HYPHEN" sub-categories in the registry?

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA