Re: [Healeys] BJ8 carb adjust question

To: "Freese, Ken" <Kendall.Freese@aerojet.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 carb adjust question
From: "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:39:30 +0800
Ken -

The SU carb needles work to very fixed mixtures at different throttle
settings & loads... what this means is when you tune your SU carb at
idle, it will likely not be in tune as you drive the car at different
speeds.

If you want to tune an SU carb's mixture at all different loads and
RPMs, the only way to do it is to have a test track, a stack of
different needles that run lean, and then drive the car around at
successively different loads and speeds with a mobile gas analyser and
then sand paper the needles down until you get correct mixture at all
speeds and loads.  Some people have done this with spectacular results
in terms of mileage and power, but an exceptionally time consuming
process.

Long story short is your mechanic doesn't understand how SU carbs
work.  A gas analyser at idle is no more useful then just tuning by
ear and using the dashpot piston lifters.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8