[Healeys] Alternator Success (maybe)

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Alternator Success (maybe)
From: Raymond Carbone <racarbon@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:57:19 -0400
For those that may not remember, I have been trying to implement the
installation of a Delco alternator for nearly 2 years.  After an unsuccessful
attempt with an SI-10 (later successfully installed in a TR7), I purchased a
new 105 Amp CS130 that also failed to meet my objectives.  Following long hours
of research, multiple wiring experiments, and a number of regulator rebuilds, I
was at the point of reinstalling my original generator when a part replacement
seems to have changed everything.

Over the past 15 or so years I had Packard 440 solid core ignition wires
installed in my BJ8.  Although these wires produce substantial amounts of radio
interference, I have never experienced a misfire (Crane CD, Pertronics 40K
coil).  The performance of my ignition system allowed me to reduce my carb
adjustments to, maybe, once a year and just about eliminated the ignition from
any diagnostic consideration.

In a last attempt to find my alternator culprit, I decided to perform a full
list of voltage drop tests.  However, my tests were thwarted by the
interference created by the ignition wires on my digital multi-meter.  Seeing
this effort as my last, I decided to replace the Packard 440s with a very good
grade of EMS/RMS suppression wires for my tests.  The results, all voltage drop
tests fell well within spec and THE ALTERNATOR BEGAN TO WORK PROPERLY.

Conclusion; although I am not certain, I believe the EMS/RMS signals created by
the Packards may have had some effect on the electronic regulators within the
SI-10 and CS130 alternators.  Over the past few drives, the alternator has
performed flawlessly, however, I will need to monitor the systems further
before my confidence returns.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

All the best,
Ray Carbone