[Healeys] Gas Mileage from Conclave

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Gas Mileage from Conclave
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:23:25 EDT
FWIW: Driving from Los Altos/San Jose to San Diego and back, I used 62 gals
of gas, costing about $290 to go a nominal 1053 miles, for an indicated 15.6
mpg.
HOWEVER, that mileage included both crusing speeds and stop-and-go traffic on
highways and city streets. On the one stretch where we were able to cruise
continuously for 199 miles I managed a nominal 18.95 mpg.
I say "nominal" because when I checked my Garmin, I discovered that I had
actually driven only 990 miles, so my odometer reads 106 percent higher than my
actual mileage. So, adjusting for that I got an overal 16.7 mpg for the trip,
with 20.1 mpg on the one and only straight 65 mph cruising stretch.
BTW, I have an early 3000 engine, but it was rebuilt with a BJ8 cam, if that
makes any difference, and based on plug examination, it runs a little rich.
Cheers
Gary