Re: [Healeys] Speeds, distances, and odometers.

To: "Leo" <60bugeye@cebridge.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Speeds, distances, and odometers.
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:24:52 -0700
The speedo has a (relatively) large worm gear that is driven by the
cable, which drives two smaller gears, one for the trip meter and one
for the odometer.  It's possible one of the gears is the wrong size, or
may be slipping.  These two smaller gears (which appear to be nylon)
drive eccentrics that cause a lever to push gears on the trip meter and
odometer; one of these ratcheting gears may have a problem (or,
conceivably, one is the wrong size).

When I had my speedo adjusted for a 3.54 rearend, the only apparent
change was the size of the two ratcheting gears, which compensated for
the (approx.) 11% difference from a 3.91 rearend.

bs