Re: [Healeys] Colors esp two-tones

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Colors esp two-tones
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:59:18 EDT
In a message dated 7/10/08 6:44:39 PM, healeys-request@autox.team.net writes:

> My dad
> recalls being told that if they ordered a car, it could be painted any
> color or combination thereof, so long as the colors were in the BMC
> catalog.

That's sort of true, as I understand things. Dealers could and did make minor
modifications to paint jobs to make a sale,* and obviously they would be
using BMC paints on their shelves, but -- welcome to have anyone chime in on
this
to contradict me -- I have never encountered anyone who could show a BMIHT
certificate that showed a Healey painted in any other colors or combinations
except those on the blueprints -- which are what is reflected in the Concours
Standards and our Restoration Guide.

* there is a BT7 in my local area owned now by the son of the original owner,
that he (the son) recalls was originally primrose, and the dealer painted the
side coves dark green before delivery because the father wanted it that way.

Dealer painting of side coves was pretty   common, especially on the BN2s.

BTW, btw -- if you do have your car painted two-tone, make sure that the cove
paint starts at the lower break line, with the main color extending over the
top break line and down into the cove.

Cheers
Gary

Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music