Re: [Healeys] (no subject)

To: mike brooks <hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] (no subject)
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:52:36 +0100
Mike

I don't believe that if an O/D drops out is a function of speed but more
one of distance. The O/D pump works on the output shaft that drives the
wheels, as you say. If you have been travelling any significant
distance, say perhaps 100 feet then the accumulator will be fully
charged with something like 400 psi oil pressure available.

The manual advises working the O/D valve six or seven times before
working on the O/D. This is to relieve the pressure from the accumulator
that might still be there after many hours and is therefore dangerous.

I suggest that if your O/D drops out around 30 mph the oil pressure has
dropped, again as you suggest. On a correctly working unit this should
not be the case. Either the control valve is being operated somehow or
there is an internal leak inside the unit. The most likely cause is a
badly seating valve but it could be leaks around the operating or
accumulator pistons.

Regards

--
John Harper