Re: [Healeys] Shimmy.

To: <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>, "James Lea" <clocks@midcoast.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Shimmy.
From: "John Soderling" <jsoderling@astound.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:13:20 -0700
Yes, tread separation.  It is usually no more than 1/4" and hard to detect,
but really makes the car shake.  I had the problem 14 yrs ago when I bought
a used Healey and ran it for six months on tires that had 70% tread left but
turned out to be vs.-a-or-by old.  How old was this left rear tire?  Many
times you can detect it by jacking up the wheel to just clear the floor and
then rotate it.  I found the bad tire by having a friend drive along side me
on the freeway and look at the tires bounce.

Vrooom vrooom,
John