Re: [Healeys] Shimmy.

To: "'List Healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Shimmy.
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:44:32 -0700
James, I have experienced a shimmy a couple of times that turned out to be a
delaminating tire on the rear.  It was a shimmy at slow speeds but turned
into vibration at higher ones.  In the first case, the tire failed at about
60 mph and beat hell out of my lower rear fender before I could get the car
stopped.  I learned my lesson from that and didn't let the second one go
long enough to cause a blow-out.
BTW, the blowout  and short time of running on the blown tire damaged the
wheel enough that it can't be perfectly trued anymore (per Allen Hendrix),
although I'm still using it.  It doesn't cause any noticeable vibration,
though.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry