Re: [Healeys] (no subject)alternator

To: sjnnock@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] (no subject)alternator
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:45:25 -0400
Norman or anyone else,
I have heard that most modern alternators can put out more current than
the wiring in an Austin-Healey (or most other old British cars) can
handle.  If the battery is discharged the alternator will be supplying
that current to charge the battery for some relatively long period of
time.  Is this a concern?  Is there a certain output that Healey owners
should not go above when selecting the alternator to convert to?
Thanks.
Charlie Baldwin (electrically challenged)

Norman Nock wrote:
> Al fuller .. If you drive with your head lights on and both driving lights on
>your battery will go flat ,your engine will stop ,  you would have been
>using more electricity than the generator could supply , if this happened in
>the middle of Nevada  at 2AM , nobody would stop to help you .. you should
>install an alternator to cover the extra load , or don't use both ...
>    See page 118 in my Tech Talk book   Norman Nock

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
mgcharlie.vcf]