Re: [Healeys] MIG welding aluminum shroud

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] MIG welding aluminum shroud
From: "Frank Magnusson" <fmags@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:09:13 -0500
Hi Gary,  I missed seeing this thread, so I haven't seen any of the responses
except this one, so I'm probably covering old ground.

I very successfully TIG welded some cracks in my rear shroud several years
ago.  It was a large Miler square wave machine, but they do make smaller
machines as well.  Came out really nice.

Miller claims you can MIG weld aluminum, but I haven't tried it.  I have a
Miller Challenger MIG welder that I've used for welding steel on my Healey.
Really nice welder if tyou are looking to buy a MIG welder.  I believe you can
get a spool of aluminim wire for it, but as I said I haven't tried it.

Whatever you do, practice on alot of scrap before you try welding the shroud.

I don't remember the alloy used on the shrouds  I think the designation was
different than what we use today.  I was going to use 6061T6 alloy for a
repair on my front shroud, but I haven't done it yet.  Be careful with
aluminum alloys if you weld in a patch with new material; some are weldable,
some are not.

Frank Magnusson
Wichita, KS
'65 BJ8

<Thanks to all for their response on mig welding the aluminum shroud. After
reading the responses, I didn't feel that it would practical. Then a  lister,
Richard Pratt, offered to discuss it at length via telephone.  Rich  spent a
lot of time, trial and error mig welding his shroud. He shared  his findings
with me and I  am going to give it a shot.

It will be a little while but when finished, I will share my findings with
the list.

Thanks,

Gary Bouffard
60 BN7