[Healeys] Brake servo repair

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Brake servo repair
From: "Frank Magnusson" <fmags@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:26:24 -0500
I am in the process of rebuilding the brake servo on my '65 BJ8 and have a few
questions for the list.

The body of the vacuum cylinder has Girling stamped in it, so I bought the
Girling kit. However, looking at the pictures in the shop manual, it shows a
unit where the back of the drum is just a flat plate held to the servo drum by
about 6 screws.  Wish I had this unit as it would come apart very easily.

My unit must be a later one as it is one of those that the two pieces are held
together by a serrated band.  You twist the two halves to line up the
serrations and the unit comes apart.  I have rebuilt a similar unit on a
Triumph Stag but on that unit there are mounting lugs on both halves; you put
the unit in a vise and I made a tool to pick up the lugs on the other half;
came apart pretty easily.

Q1.  On this unit, there is really nothing to grab on to to twist the two
halves apart.  The only way I see to do it is to put the whole thing in a
large vise, push down with your full body weight to unload the spring between
the two halves and then put a large band clamp around it and hopefully it will
twist apart.

Has anybody done this before and does anybody have any suggestions for getting
it apart?

Q2.  I bought the rebuild kit from British Car Specialsts in Stockton, CA.  I
believe this is Norman and David Nocks outfit?  Unfortunately they are closed
today; hopefully you're on the list this w/e. :)

The kit appears to be for the early Girling unit.  Is there a kit for the
later Girling unit, or are they the same kit?  The vacuum cylinder looks to be
the same as the early unit judging from the pictures in the manual; maybe the
only difference is the rear half of the drum and the seals for it?  Hopefully
I didn't buy the wrong kit.

Thanks in advance,

Frank Magnusson
Wichita, KS