[Healeys] Overdrive Question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive Question
From: "Corning, Dan (D.C.)" <dcorning@ford.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 19:14:42 -0400
Taking a close look at my overdrive unit, I noticed a washer that didn't
look right.  I'm an overdrive novice but I think the washer makes a
difference.  It's the copper washer for the bolt that holds pressure on
a spring and ball.  (It's item number 91 on page 60 of the current Moss
catalog)

The inside diameter of the washer is too small to sit down on the
shoulder of the bolt head and the outside diameter is too big to sit
inside the recessed area of the OD housing.  I'm pretty sure this will
cause less pressure on the spring and ball assembly.  Because my car
hasn't run in over a decade, I have no way to test it's operation.

Can anyone tell me what that bolt - spring - ball and valve assembly
does and how it will affect the overdrive?  Also, does anyone know where
I can get a new washer or what the dimensions of the washer is so I can
make one.

Thanks,

Dan Corning
1962 BT7