[Healeys] Carb Spits & Coughs

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Carb Spits & Coughs
From: "Dan Stromquist" <dan@warner-associates.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:41:30 -0500

I am still trying to get my 64 BJ8 to run smooth.  We rebuilt the
distributor with better points, properly gapped, all new parts, and reset
the timing.  Also put in new HD Lucas coil.  The shop set the carbs and put
in rich needles and it seemed to run better.   Still have low idle miss
especially when cold and sporatic when hot.  What I get now is what I
believe to be backfires right at the carb more so when cold (the carbs were
rebuilt as well professionally).  Are these little backfires common to BJ8s
or do I have a carb problem and what do you suppose is the fix.  When cold
with the chock out I still have to pump the accelerator to keep it
going-lots of hissing and popping right at the carb and from time to time a
small backfire in the exhaust system itself.

Dan