Re: [Healeys] 100 Aluminium Head

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 Aluminium Head
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:08:33 +0100
Alan

I don't agree; it is more about the way one drives than the power. Maybe
if one goes in for racing then this is a different matter but if one
changes gear appropriately then one should not have problems.

Just to give you an example a gearbox that I still use in a 100 was
before it was converted to take an overdrive in a A70 Hereford. As you
know this is a heavy car similar to your Atlantic. However I had fitted
a Le Mans 100 engine. Also I frequently towed a trailer made from an A70
pick up with as much as a 1 ton load in it at times. I ran this way for
about five years and as I say I still use the same gearbox. It is still
in good order. Mind you I did shear off a half shaft where it enters the
diff wheels but that is another matter.

Regards

--
John Harper