Re: [Healeys] FW: Air Fuel Meters easy to find?>

To: "Dave Porter" <frogeye@porterscustom.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Air Fuel Meters easy to find?>
From: bspidell@comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:28:54 +0000
FWIW, some aircraft use exhaust gas temperature (EGT) to assess mixture
strength (most piston aircraft allow the mixture to be adjusted in flight).
The best (read: most expensive) measure EGT in all cylinders.

An EGT is a thermocouple and indicator that, well, measures the exhaust
temperature, from which you can surmise the relative strength of the mixture.
EGT rises as you lean from full rich to "peak EGT," which roughly corresponds
to stoichiometric.  Aircraft are typically operated at either 50-100degC "rich
of peak" or 50degC "lean of peak."  The latter setting has become more
acceptable--it was anathema until relatively recently--as the cost of avgas has
gone north of $6/gallon (generally, it should only be used at power settings
less than 75% of max continuous power available in the engine).

Bob

From: "Dave Porter" <frogeye@porterscustom.com>