[Healeys] FW: Things that make you go Hmm!

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] FW: Things that make you go Hmm!
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 23:46:30 +0000
> From: ynotink@msn.com
> To: healey-bounces@autox.team.net
> Subject: Things that make you go Hmm!
> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 23:25:43 +0000
>

> On the way to the parts store in my BN1 yesterday I had a sudden failure
complete with popping sounds and power loss and hissing noises. I thought I
had blown another head gasket, but unable to reach my wife to bring a tow
vehicle I limped home.

> I started to disassemble in preparation for repairing the gasket, the head
and block surfaces if needed etc. but I only got as far as the valve cover
when I discovered the problem. The pushrod on the #3 exhaust valve had become
disengaged from the lifter and rocker.

> I pulled the rocker shaft and retrieved the pushrod to discover that it was
perfectly straight and undamaged. When i reassembled the rocker shaft and
checked valve clearances the setting was correct. (I run a 3/4 race Isky cam
and the recommended valve clearance is 0.018"). I ran the other valves and
found no discrepancies. After reassembly she started and ran with no problem.
I was not revving the engine very high and 4,000 RPM is about as tight as I
wrap it.

> Despite the noise and the terrible miss there was no harm done and the
repair was pretty simple, but I would like to avoid this in the future.

> Has anyone had this experience? Are there any ideas as to what would cause
this to happen? Is 0.018" enough slack to allow the pushrod to jump out of its
position? I know that some people use bucket lifters that might have helped
avoid this. What lifters and pushrods do they use?