Re: [Healeys] FW: Things that make you go Hmm!

To: healeys@autox.team.net, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Things that make you go Hmm!
From: Robert Blair <rnbmail@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:25:09 -0700 (PDT)
Bill,

Never happened to me on a British push rod engine, but I would rationalize
your failure as one of the following.... as your push rod was not bent and the
cup/nothing was broken - I am assuming standard lifter and rocker surfaces and
profiles:
1. The valve stuck open for enough time for the push rod to be floating and
therefore side step the tapet
2. The aggressive ? cam profile you are using allowed the inertia of the rod
and valve train to not immediate follow the profile - pretty unlikely
3. The push rod temporarily bent under stress at right rpm due to a natural
frequency standing wave being set up in the rod but did not break - long
enough to pop out.

I would say that 1 is the most likely.

Robert N. Blair  65 Yellow BJ8  rnbmail@yahoo.com