Re: [Healeys] Intake Manifold

To: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Intake Manifold
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:58:35 -0700
Dana,

Seems like there's two questions here:

1) should I pull the manifold?
2) if so, how?

Unless you need to remove the manifold--like if there's an intake leak
through the gasket--why bother?  There isn't much to clean and--unless
there's a bunch of crud inside (shouldn't be)--there isn't much to be
gained.  You can clean the outside with carb cleaner or similar.  Also
too, you'll have to pull the exhaust manifold as well since it shares
the gasket with the intake manifold and you'll have to replace the gasket.

That said, since you're ready to pull it already, you need to be
careful.  The manifold is aluminum and easy enough to break.   It's
probably stuck to the gasket which in turn is stuck to the head.  About
all you can do is GENTLY try to get some sort of wedge in there to break
the gasket away from the head (you can scrape the gasket off the
manifold later).  What works best is a thin, metal putty knife sharp
enough to penetrate the gasket with some CAREFUL encouragement from your
fist or a small hammer.  Work all the way around the manifold, working
the putty knife in deeper and prying the manifolds away from the head
until the gasket gives up the ghost.

Bob