Re: [Healeys] UNBELIEVABLE PILOTING, Response Part 2

To: "Healey Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] UNBELIEVABLE PILOTING, Response Part 2
From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:41:50 -0800
"Here is a pilot's take on the video from another forum:

 Quote:
 The general consensus is that it's a cleverly cut shot combining an RC and
a real aircraft. I see an argument that there is no aileron, but there
clearly is. What I don't know is if an Extra300 has a full wing aileron like
in the video or not. Freeze-frame at 49 seconds just before he cuts the
power and you can clearly see a full-wing aileron deflected as far left as
it probably goes. Further, as a pilot, I think the other control surfaces
support the possibility that it's real. I've looked closely for a change in
scale with the background and I can't find one. Also the engine noises are
consistent with an Extra300, which can sound a lot like an RC due to quick
response and a limited muffler.

The other argument is that the plane is level when it lands and there's no
way that could happen. It looks to me (again at 49 seconds) that cutting the
power would in fact cause the nose to drop dramatically. The full left
aileron and full left rudder would cause a roll in the correct direction. If
it's real, though, it's a miracle all that combined to land the aircraft on
its wheels. The odds of somebody doing that intentionally (or in a
repeatable fashion) I'd say are next to nil.

On landing, the plane would definitely bounce forward and the pilot would
have to work hard to keep from flipping it forward as it appears nearly
happened. Also, the wing is still clearly missing after landing. You can
make out the wing root with appropriate holes for control lines and the
shadow is missing on the ground as well. As the plane comes back onto the
pavement, you can also see the foot peg on the left side of the airplane
that the pilot would use for egress. If it's an RC, it's a very detailed
one. Unfortunately, the cameraman loses center as the aircraft turns away
from the crowd, but that is an action a responsible pilot would take if he
still retained his wits as would have to be the case in order to survive
this in the first place.

If it's fake, kudos to the creator, for an amazing video including lighting,
sound and a very accurate model airplane. But I've personally seen an
Extra300 hang in the air on its propeller, and then push forward to resume
normal flight, so despite the critics, I'm still leaning toward real as well
as a both a good and extremely lucky pilot.

Careful, nearly frame-by-frame review of the video itself. And my experience
as a commercial pilot (albeit with zero aerobatics experience)."