[Healeys] Frame repair advise - 1964 BJ8 Phase 2

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Frame repair advise - 1964 BJ8 Phase 2
From: JJSandSMS@cs.com
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:10:56 EST
Need advise,

Our HBJ8-L/28207, an early phase 2 car is about ready to be media blasted.
The frame/chassis is totally stripped and is on a rotisserie.  Once blasted and
primered I need to do some repair work, driver's floor, left footwell, rear
trunk floor, and both shut pillar face plates (where door latch and front of
rear fenders attach) will need replaced due to rust.  The frame itself seems
very solid except for the top of the left rail from the motor mount to about
the
center of the drivers seat, which is rusting from the outside and appears
thin.  Kilmartin makes a u-shaped frame repair piece that is supplied 4 feet
long
and is designed to fit inside the frame rail once the very top (or bottom if
desired) of the frame is removed.  That is the area that is 3 inches wide that
has the weld bead.  The repair piece has 1 inch legs that fit inside the frame
and then whole thing gets welded in place.

Question, how and where should the chassis be supported when we cut out the
top of the rail at that location?  I would definitely assume we would not leave
it on the rotisserie!  Would supporting the bottom of the frame in four
spots, two near the front of the car, say between the motor and suspension
mounts
(on each rail) and two near the back of the x-frame be sufficient? Should we be
concerned with warping or twisting of the chassis as the old piece is cut out
and the new piece is welded in? If so, how do we prevent this short of
rigidly attaching to a frame machine which we do not have? We will use a MIG
welder
and certainly take our time to minimize any heat.

Anyone have any experience with this repair piece? Suggestions?

Are we in over our head with this repair?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff